RE: [WriteLog] RE: Ionic Breeze

To: "'Eric Hilding'" <eric@hilding.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] RE: Ionic Breeze
From: "Art Searle W2NRA" <w2nra@birdsandbeacons.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:20:40 -0400
Hi Rick,

And I was away on vacation, so your timing is perfect.  Glad I could help.
And would you believe I didn't think of your simple solution of ". . . to
run the Ionic Breeze non-stop EXCEPT for when you're on the air :-)"  Da!  I
can't believe I gave this problem so much brain effort and didn't think of
that.  So now, of course, I will go buy one and use the 'Hilding Solution'.
. . . . the on/off switch.

Thanks and 73,

Art
W2NRA

Art Searle
Director of Finance/Treasurer
arts@3villagecsd.k12.ny.us
(631) 730-4084

(RE-THREADED)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

> I was considering buying an Ionic Breeze filter until I held an AM radio
> within a few feet of it.  I could hear significant hash on the radio.  I
> didn't want to buy one only to find out that it increased my current HF
> noise level.  So, Rick, my question is did your filters increase your
noise
> level?  I'm sure others would be interested as well.

Art:

So sorry for the delay...I forgot to check the WriteLog filtered folder on
the Unix for a couple of weeks ;-(

YIKES!!!  I never thought of associating some "new" QRM with the Ionic
Breeze (like, "DUH!" on me).

Now I know where some of the "spurious spikes" are originating from!!!
I have the (Germidical Protection version) unit set on MAX/High.

Just ran a quick band test.  The unit is about 18 inches from where the
TS-870S is on the desk.

160m - Spikes about 2khz wide at one spot in the CW band range when the
unit does it's periodic cycle

80m - Ditto

40m - No problem

30m - No problem

20m - Spikes in a couple of places

17m - No problem

15m - No problem

12m - Spikes LOUD

10m - Nuts...can't remember ;-(

I do notice the air quality is "different" (and better).

A solution would be, of course, to run the Ionic Breeze non-stop EXCEPT
for when you're on the air :-)

Hope this helps.  Your question sure helped me here !!!

73...

Rick, K6VVA