RE: [WriteLog] LPT CW Keying

To: <k0bx@qsl.net>, "Writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] LPT CW Keying
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <w1nr@eecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:11:05 -0400
Many Dell laptops use the parallel port for floppy and CD rom drives
with special cables and, I assume, a special LPT port driver.  If you
replace the LPT port driver on one of these, bad things happen...

What is wrong with serial port keying?  On my Dell, I use the internal
serial port for keying and USB to serial converters for rig control.  I
find that the opto isolated serial port circuits greatly improve
reliability (runaway keying due to RFI is all but eliminated).

Mike, W1NR