Re: [WriteLog] Problem with erratic cw

To: "writelog@contesting.com" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Problem with erratic cw
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:14:27 -0500
On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:46:07 -0000, Mike Brown wrote:

>Next, from what I've read, not all
>USB/Serial adapters are not created equal

There is an inherent problem with USB to serial adapters, in that they
are not "real" serial adapters. I live in the pro audio world, and we
use RS-232 to program some audio gear. In general, USB adapters
do not work reliably, but PCI-card adapters do.

I just bought a new laptop without a serial port, and added a Quatech
DSP-100 2-port adapter. It uses a 16750 chip. I've tried it with
WriteLog (but not in a contest yet) and it seems to work fine with the
two rigs I hooked it up to -- a K2/100 and a TS-850.

I used my older laptop for WPX this weekend because the new
laptop doesn't have a line input either, and I don't want to give up the
CW copying ability.

Jim K9YC