RE: [WriteLog] USB Adapters

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"'WriteLog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] USB Adapters
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:39:26 -0500
It all depends:

I successfully used a Belkin FSU103 USB to Serial
with Win/XP (after downloading their updated drive
for XP) to control both an ICOM756PROII and Orion,
without failure, although a frequency change command
took 2 seconds with the USB to Serial, compared with
about 900 milliseconds with a direct COM Port cable.

However, using the same Belkin FSU103 USBto Serial to
Send CW from PC Generated WriteLog
(because the Orion requires a separate COM port for
 CW and Rig Control)
did twice present me with a Blue Screen and
a Win/XP error message  "BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER"
and a reboot of the Dell Inspiron notebook.
  In both cases, I had been trying to press a
  function key, and know that I "fat-fingered"
  some combination of keys in the upper left
  quadrant, but I never could replicate the
  exact precipitant of the blue screen.
Swapping back to rig control, the Belkin never failed.

Barry, W5GN