[WriteLog] Field Day And GOTA

To: "Writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Field Day And GOTA
From: "dr" <kg0us100@att.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:04:33 -0500
It would be nice for Field Day if Writelog had a SAT mode for satellite
contacts.  Right now there are the standard modes such as CW, various phone
modes, and FSK.  The SAT modes would allow separate scoring of satellite
contacts.  There would probably need to be separate mode for SAT CW and SAT
phone.  I have heard that NA has this and maybe some of the others.

Why are all the WARC bands included when you start a new ARRL Field Day Log?
This clutters some of the windows with useless band information that is not
used during Field Day.  I have a special log I use as a seed that eliminates
this problem.  However, I think the Writelog baseline log for Field Day
should be changed to eliminate this minor irritation.

It looks like we can network the GOTA station with the others this year if
we designate it as N (was Novice in the past) on the network.  What about
the dupe sheets?  Is it OK to submit dupe sheets with GOTA mixed in with
other stations?  How does the GOTA operators easily keep track of the 400
QSO limit if they are networked with the other stations? I know that one can
select the QSO serial numbers are separate by radio option.  I also know
that there is a way that we can setup the GOTA station where they only see
their log and serial number.  The problem is with dupes.  A dupe still gets
a new serial number so it becomes more difficult for the GOTA station to
keep track of the 400 QSO limit.  It would be nice if the band summary
window could be customized to view results of an individual station on the
network.  Does anyone have a good solution to keep track of the 400 QSO
limits for the GOTA station when it is on the network with the other
stations?

Someone may be asking why would anyone waste their time implementing some of
the software changes above?  It is only Field Day!  It is not a real
contest!  The answer is that it is good business practice.  Field Day is
still one of the most popular event for amateur radio.  It is a chance for
us to show off Writelog to potential customers.  If Writelog works like a
well oiled machine then people in the market may be influenced to buy it.
It does not take too many kinks in a software package for potential
customers to be discouraged.  I am a loyal customer and appreciate Writelog
and the person(s) who developed it.

Thanks,

Dave KG0US