RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:05:47 -0700
Bob, W1QA wrote:

> I wonder how many individuals' (e.g., non-business) systems
> are running Windows 2000 Professional?  My observation had
> been that W2K Pro was pretty much deployed in a business
> environ but not that many end-users adopted it.

I've been running WIN2K PRO on a Dell 330 Precision Workstation for over 3 years. 1GB RAM & 170+ GB 10,000 RPM SCSI drives. My hi-end audio production stuff does NOT like XP ;-( This is not my logging computer, thank God.

In spite updated Service Packs, Norton Anti-Virus & a Firewall, I got busted into and 961 files infected just for starters. Regardless of operating systems, until we get the diddly squat losers in Washington replaced by tough Ham/Net-Smart Contester types to implement some KB legislation & empower law enforcement, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER connect your logging computer to the Internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My solution for virus proliferators has been (for years) to Castrate the b*st*rds.

73...

Rick, K6VVA