[WriteLog] Using heil Headset Mike with Logging Programs`

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Using heil Headset Mike with Logging Programs`
From: "Frank Grossman (WB2BXO)" <flgrossman@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:03:23 -0400
It's been pointed out many times on Writelog and other reflectors that one
should keep both hands on the keyboard during contests.  I prefer to do this on
SSB using a headset-microphone, rather than programming .wav files to do the
talking for me.

Recently, I replaced an older Heil headset mike with the newer Heil Pro-Set
Plus (Icom) mike with both elements, but have had great difficulty adjusting
the VOX on my ICOM-765 properly.  It appears that each element requires its own
VOX settings, and that the settings for the "DX" element are especially
critical.

Some have suggested that the only solution is to use a foot switch, but I've
been told this may create difficulties in keying my Alinco 811H amp with the
QSK-5 CW break-in box in-line.  (Still investigating this issue)

Any suggestions?

Frank
WB2BXO