RE: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS
From: "Bob McCormick W1QA" <writelog@W1QA.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:13:51 -0400
> >Once you install it, you can locate it in Start-->All
> >Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools.

> Does the Microsoft Backup support automatic, unattended
> operation?

Yes. Most right hand tab (at least on Windows XP Professional)
is the Scheduled tab - uses built-in Windows scheduler to run
backup scripts you setup at the times/dates desired.

> If you manually have to initiate backup, I can almost
> guarantee that you will have skipped the day before
> you really need to recover something.

I guess that's because most people have bad habits ...
or have never been taught good ones!

I usually perform backups before and after certain events:
like before upgrading or making changes to my system,
or after running QuickBooks, doing contest logs, etc.
(In addition to full system and incremental backups.)

In my previous comments I forgot to mention I also
routinely burn information to optical media as well ...
(especially rewritable media).

Windows Server 2003 also has a neat feature:
when you use it as a file server, it can maintain
a journal of all the files (that are accessed
over the network).  Pretty easy to actually roll
back a file to a previous version!  If you're in
the IT industry there are numerous ways to get a
low or no cost copy of Windows Server 2003 ...