[WriteLog] FCVK Tip #3 - Test First & Tricks

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] FCVK Tip #3 - Test First & Tricks
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:12:01 -0700
FCVK Tip #3 - Test First & Tricks

This one should be a no brainer, but before investing a considerable amount of time pre-recording full callsign .wav files, do just a few of them and have a contester pal with good ears give you some initial feedback.

When I first started doing Rock 'n Roll Radio years ago, one of the station "Pro" DJs told me to STAND UP when doing my show...which I found valuable advice over the years. Why? Because you get a more P-O-W-E-R-F-U-L voice delivery...and be sure and use your gut (don't speak from your throat only).

Depending upon the mike you use, in any case TURN OFF YOUR RIG & ANY BLOWERS/FANS !!! There's already too much schlock blower noise on the air during contests ;-(

Be judicious with the use of EQ. I personally believe a boost in the Presence range is desirable, but I've gotten too many bad reports about the thin quality of the Heil 4 capsule which appears too much boost. Or, I'll need to change the rig settings to roll off the highs.

Equally judicious use of Compression is encouraged. I use a Levelizer, but either one will allow for a more consistent level and punch of your full callsign voice-keying throughout the duration of a contest than you could ever hope to achieve with a mike (especially during the last few hours of a 48 hours contest).

You might also consider adding just a "tinge" of Reverb and experiment with Room vs. Vocal Plate settings. Your best contester buddy will be able to tell you what sucks & what doesn't. FX must be used sparingly, but the nice thing is you can always change things later if done via Post FX.

Test First with a few files BEFORE and avoid being too "Hot" on the mike (a/k/a "going into the Red) 'cuz distortion is UGLY ;-(

73...

Rick, K6VVA