[WriteLog] Xp to Xp networking - Rush Help Needed

To: writelog@contesting.com (Writelog)
Subject: [WriteLog] Xp to Xp networking - Rush Help Needed
From: Kt4zb@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:11:55 EDT
Hi all - Getting prepared for portable IOTA contest operation this weekend on
NA-058 and have spent the better part of three evenings attempting to get WL
to network on 2 Xp machines.  I tried to follow the Xp instructions to the
letter but all I get is "lost connections ..." when linking to the other
computer.  I am new to WriteLog.

Here's the setup - Xp home on 2 laptops, called Radio1 and Radio2. User
accounts are IOTA and password IOTA all caps typed with capslock turned off.
Both
computers see each other on the network and can access, open, and copy files.
I can open a test file on the other machine and type call signs etc. into the
file.  Also have made sure files are not read only and are shared.

Computers are connected using internal ethernet card on A and pmca card on B.
First used regular cat 5 cable - then used a crossover cat 5 cable.  Network
seemed to work the same either way. Network setup originally with non static
addresses, NetBios enabled on both machines.  Later setup with TCP set to fixed
addresses. (10.10.10. 1 and 10. 10. 10.2, subset 265,.265.265.0). Again the
network worked fine with everyone seeing everyone. Same results with WL - lost
connections with Radio2 or Radio1.  WriteLog 10.47E as stand alone works fine.

WriteLog entries for "Accept ...." are A; Radio1 and B, Radio2 - then I
attempted to link to the other computer.  I only get "lost connection with
Radio2"
when linking from Radio1. I orginated the testfile on Radio1 and Accepted
registration as A; Radio1 and saved to the Shared Documents file.  Then copied
the
file to both computer's WriteLog Contest folders.  Then with both files open
- I did the accept on Radio1 and then link to Radio2. The first time I got a
command window saying "Starting DDE services .........." no other info in the
window. It would close and I always ended with the lost connection WL msg.
Addtional attempts to register and link did not start the command window.  So I
assume the services were started???  I've also done the restart services
mentioned in the special Xp instructions and changed the settings to automatic
start.
 I've read lots of items in the Writelog archives but have not found where
I'm screwing up.

So - where do I go from here?  Friday afternoon is travel day.

Thanks in advance - Jere, KT4ZB