[WriteLog] Field Day Scoring Workaround

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Field Day Scoring Workaround
From: wo1n@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:17:00 +0000
 Thanks to the folks who replied with suggestions to help with the
Field Day scoring issues I was dealing with.
 The problem stems from the Band Map that gets loaded when
ARRL FIELD Day is the selected contest. It does not reflect
all of the band contacts/modes that could be made on during Field
Day. It also includes bands that are not valid bands for Field Day,
e.g. 30M, 17M and 12M.
 I suspect the Field Day module could use some updating to be more
useful and I would be willing to work with anyone to specify and then
test the required changes.
 A work around goes something like this:
1. Load the Field Day module
2. Select Bands -> Setup Bands -> Clear All Bands
3. Reenter all useful bands/modes.
 Step 3 obviously being the key part here. The ARRL wants the scoring
broken down by CW, Digital and Phone for Field Day. Entering the
bands is straight forward. You can selected multiple modes for each
band segement, ie. USB, FM, AM if desired or necessary (for VHF for
example, which is why it was not scoring FM contact properly to
begin with).
 There is a 7 character limit on the name for the band. It is fairly
tedious to enter them all in because you cannot go back and edit an
individual band, so if you mess up you must start over.
 A set of useful "Bands" for FD might look like this:
 Name       Band Edges     Mode
 160M CW     1800    1843  CW
 160MDig     1800    2000  FSK
 160M PH     1843    2000  LSB
 80M  CW     3500    3750  CW
 80M Dig     3500    4000  FSK
 80M PH      3750    4000  LSB
 40M CW      7000    7150  CW
 40M Dig     7000    7300  FSK
 40M PH      7150    7300  LSB
 20M CW     14000   14150  CW
 20M Dig    14000   14350  FSK
 20M PH     14150   14350  USB
 15M CW     21000   21200  CW
 15M Dig    21000   21450  FSK
 15M PH     21200   21450  USB
 10M CW     28000   28300  CW
 10M Dig    28000   29700  FSK
 10M PH     28300   29700  USB,FM
  6M CW     50000   50100  CW
  6M Dig    50100   54000  FSK
  6M PH     50100   54000  USB,LSB,FM,AM
  2M CW    140000  144100  CW
  2M Dig   140100  148000  FSK
  2M PH    140100  148000  USB,LSB,FM,AM
1.25 CW    222000  225000  CW
1.25Dig    222000  225000  FSK
1.25 PH    222000  225000  USB,LSB,FM,AM
70CM CW    420000  450000  CW
70CMDig    420000  450000  FSK
70CM PH    420000  450000  USB,LSB,FM,AM
33CM CW    902000  928000  CW
33CMDig    902000  928000  FSK
33CM PH    902000  928000  USB,LSB,FM,AM
23CM CW   1240000 1300000  CW
23CMDig   1240000 1300000  FSK
23CM PH   1240000 1300000  USB,LSB,FM,AM
 After applying the changes I was able to get all of our VHF FM "B"
contacts to score properly. Although I used a Band edge chart to
come up with the band edges, caveat emptor, gentlemen agreements
and all...
Ken
WO1N