Re: [WriteLog] CW questions

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CW questions
From: Dave Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:41:14 -0700
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:30:16 -0000 "Clive Whelan"
<clive.whelan@btinternet.com> writes:

> In my view the addition of a mode switch would make WL truly the
> most functional (CW) logger bar none

I don't see a mode switch as a major deal. I think the
recent addition of the %L embedded command greatly
enhances S&P functionality by automatically logging
a qso upon striking the "s&p exchange" key. When
switching from CQ to S&P mode, you just have to
remember to switch from F2/INSERT/PLUS to
MYCALL/S&PEXCHANGE, not a big deal, especially
if you place the latter two keys next to each other.

What I do see as a big deal though is the large number
of keystrokes required by Writelog, as compared to TR.
It is primarily this issue that has kept me from abandoning
TR for ssb and cw. Compare the administrative (*) keystrokes
for TR and WL in the CW ARRL Sweepstakes:

TR (two administrative (*) keystrokes)

*ENTER (sends cq)
type W1AW (exchange is sent when 4th letter is typed)
type 247B27CT
*ENTER (sends qsl msg and logs qso)

WL (eight administrative (*) keystrokes)

*F2 (sends cq)
type W1AW
*SPACEBAR
*INSERT (sends exchange)
type 247
*SPACEBAR
type B
*SPACEBAR
*SPACEBAR
type 27
*SPACEBAR
type CT
*PLUS (sends qsl msg and logs qso)

It would also be nice to have WL send cw on more than
one COM or LPT port, to avoid having to do the keyline
a/b switching for so2r. An internal keyer would be
nice too, to avoid having to do the a/b switching on
the paddle or keyer.

I must say though, that WL's SSB so2r
switching functionality, with the stereo soundcard,
is elegant. It's almost worth switching to WL on SSB
for that, despite all the extra keystrokes.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA

.