Re: [WriteLog] Re: Trouble installing 10.48 upgrade

To: Writelog <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Re: Trouble installing 10.48 upgrade
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:36:58 +0000
> Same happened to me tonight.  I wonder if this is because of Service Pack 2
> (on top of WinXP Pro).  I was doing the exact same install/upgrade as Bill!
>
> 73 - Jim AD1C
This in the "for what it's worth" category. A few days ago, I had to
take a new machine using XP home back to the dealer for service. ( CPU
was bad ) While there, I mentioned I had been trying to download
"Service Pack 2". His reaction was forceful and emphatic.

"DO NOT download and install SP2, and if you have, uninstall it!" By
coincidence, the tech got a phone call while he was replacing the CPU
from a lady who said she could no longer access certain programs. His
first question was whether she had SP2. When she said "Yes", he told
her to remove it. She called him back about 15 mins later and said the
computer was now OK.

As he briefly described it to me, the problem is in the new "security
settings", which all too often interfere with normal operation. He
further stated that SP2 was known to be defective, has numerous bugs,
which Microsoft is working on, and that their dealership will not
install it on any machine they sell, and provide a written warning
that if the machine has to be returned for service, and SP2 is found
on the machine, then the "repair warranty" is not valid.

As I said, "FWIW"

73
Ed