[WriteLog] SO2R issues

To: "Writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R issues
From: "Don Melcher" <don@hfradio.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:31:45 -0700
I finally got around to configuring my modest home station for SO2R. I
realize it is somewhat unique so not many are going to have the same issues.

Here is the setup:

2 - K2/100 w/KAT100s (Running via N4PY software - so configured as Pegasus
on Com 1&2)

MK1100 (Com 3)

2 - TenTec RX320D (Com 6 & 7 as sub-RX for each K2 using N4PY software)

Force 12 C4SXL - 2 elements on 40 (Antenna 1 on Left radio) and 2 on 10-20
(antenna 1 on Right radio) with separate feed line for 40 turned with Hygain
DCU-1 (Com 4)
Dipole for 75/80 (antenna 2 on right radio)
Force 12 Sigma-5 for 10-20 ( Antenna 2 on Left Radio - Band-switched with
KRC-2)
Dunestar 600 filters driven by KRC2 on each radio.

The goal is to have it set-up without having to re-configure for CW/SSB

So... (unless I am missing something) here is the problem:

I have to run the MK1100 on a separate port due to the N4PY software (which
allows the use of the RX320s as sub-RX for K2 - very slick - but doesn't
seem to want to control the K2 via the MK1100). The problem is that I cannot
shut off the PTT out lines on the MK1100 on CW (changing the ptt option in
port setup doesn't work with the MK1100 on a separate port - it goes back to
Yes), and with those hooked to the PTT input of the K2s, it keys the radio
in CW with a solid carrier (which I think is unique to the K2). But on SSB
the footswitch input on the MK1100 will not key the radio without the PTT
lines from the MK1100.

The other issue is rotor control. Because the Left radio is on 40 and the
right radio is on the 10-20 of the C4SXL and they share the same rotor, I
can grab a spot and turn the rotor with Writelog on the Left radio, but when
I grab a spot on 10 - 20 on the right radio - the ability to turn the rotor
using WL is not available.

And I think I have asked this before - is there a keyboard command for "Turn
Rotor to Azimuth xxx" so you don't have to use the mouse?

It would also be cool to have an "automatic turn to spot" option - with a
don't turn if the rotor is already within say +/- 15 degrees option to that
(unfortunately - since the DCU-1 does not spit out current heading info - in
that case it would have to be base on the last heading it was commanded
too).

I know - I can hear the groans already - it isn't that I am lazy - but if
the technology is available - I want to use it.

Don
W6CZ