[WriteLog] Computer hash in the audio

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Computer hash in the audio
From: K5RC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:33:20 EST
I've loaded WL 10.50 on my laptop for the second station. Everything  works
great, except using the internal sound board for a voice keyer. Regardless  of
where I set the level controls, there is an objectionable amount of computer
"hash" embedded in the audio. The hash is definitely from the computer
because its modulation changes when I open and close programs. I can get  rid
of it
by muting the mic input or unplugging the mic cable from the computer,  which,
of course, kills the audio.

I've tried several microphones, additional cable shielding, etc., with
absolutely no difference. The audio input and output are run through  isolation
transformers, although it behaves the same with or without them.

Another curiosity is that the noise drops significantly when I unplug the
power cord. I have added torroids to the power cable and used several  power
supplies, but none of that helps. I can't swap batteries every two hours,  so
it
has to be plugged in.

Any ideas?

Tom  Taormina, K5RC