[WriteLog] Problems with Sound Card Control

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Problems with Sound Card Control
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:40:46 -0500
Running WL 10.48F on a P3/600 and Win2kPro, I've run into two problems when using the soundcard to decode CW.

- even though the input is MONO (using one radio), the decoder only works when I have chosen STEREO Mode in the SETUP CW DECODER pull-down. That means two CW windows show up -- I can't hide the unused one.

- the LINE IN BALANCE control of the Windows Volume Control is all the way left for the audio to decode. After using the decoder for a while it stops. To get things going again, I have to bring up the Windows volume control and "jiggle" the LINE IN BALANCE control (i.e., slide it back and forth, left-to-right), after which the audio reappears and all is well until the next time it disappears.

What am I doing wrong, or is it a software problem?

And my question.

I don't understand the filter settings in the DECODER SETUP window. I've noticed that the signal I've tuned is not necessarily in the center of the decoder display. Is there a correlation between the two (placement in the passband and filter)?

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC