Re: [WriteLog] Sound card to Sound card problem

To: WriteLog List <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Sound card to Sound card problem
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:02:11 -0800
Hi Richard,

If I understand this correctly, you have the pc mic, Spkr Out of pc#2 and Mic In of pc#1 all in parallel.

The output impedance of the Spkr Out appears to the pc mic as a very low impedance connected between the Mic In and ground. This forms a voltage divider which will drastically reduce the mic signal at Mic In.

Also, depending on the type of microphone, you run the risk of dumping the output power of Spkr Out into the microphone and destroying it.

If you can feed Spkr Out of pc#2 into Line In of pc#1 and the pc mic into Mic In of pc#1 everything should work fine (provided that your mic still works). Also, using the sound card mixer controls, you now have independent control of the mic and spkr levels.

Hope this helps.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Richard Thorne wrote:

Blank

Hello Group:

I'm doing some experimenting with my remote controlled station and
getting ready for Nov SS this weekend.  Heres the setup with two pc's:

PC one running my remote controlled station.  I'm using a PC mic to get
audio to my rig, via the sound card, using Skype audio software.

PC two is running Writelog.

I'm feeding the speaker out of PC #2 to the mic input of PC #1.  I can
send ssb messages generated by writelog to my remote rig.

Heres the problem.  I plugged in a y adapter in the mic input of pc # 1.
I then connected my pc mic to one part of the y and the speaker out of
pc # 2 to the other y.  When I attempt to use the pc mic I cannot send
audio to the rig.  If I remove the connecton from pc # 2 's speaker out
the mic will then work.

Any ideas why I can't have both plugged into my mic input at the same
time?  For what its worth I'm using an audio transformer between the two
sound cards as I had heavy distortion without it.

The idea here is to use writelog to send my canned cq message and use
the pc mic for everything else.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Thorne ARS: N5ZC AMA: N5ZC Amarillo, TX