[WriteLog] SSB Messages Bleeding into Headphones

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] SSB Messages Bleeding into Headphones
From: Dennis Mowers <k5ya@gvtc.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:20:53 -0600
I'm using a W5XD keyer for my headphone connection. Radios are TS-850's.

My recorded messages from the soundcard are getting into the headphone path somehow. The sound is very muffled, and hard to understand, but loud enough to cover up a weak signal caller. It happens on the transmitting radio audio, or the same level on the 2nd radio audio when I'm in the latched headphone position.

I have the normal MIC to rig connections, via the soundcard, using isolation transformers on the sound card output.

Looking at the Keyer schematic, the headphone audio is switched with relays, and there is no apparent connection with the soundcard. The headphone connections have been moved several feet away from the mic in/out wires, and that doesn't help.

The only other thing that is not quite normal is a very low level 60 Hz hum in the headphones when the rig is switched to transmit. I have removed the PTT outputs from the Keyer to the radios, and used VOX, and still get the hum when the VOX triggers the radios.

It's not RF, because I have the rig power and carrier levels turned all the way down.

If I go to the Keyer, unplug a headphone input and headphone output, and connect them with a short jumper, removing the Keyer grounds and internal relay from the picture, the problem goes away.

Has anyone had a similar problem? What should I try next?

73, Dennis - K5YA