[WriteLog] MMTTY Problem SOLVED thanks to Gary K7OX!

To: "'GARY ELLIOT'" <K7OX@MSN.COM>, <writelog@contesting.com>,<MMTTY@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MMTTY Problem SOLVED thanks to Gary K7OX!
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:43:11 -0600
Gary, you have helped me more than you know!!!

I want to share this information with the WriteLog and MMTTY groups because I
think you may have discovered a fix to a problem that has plagued others.

I too had problems with the MMTTY Plugin for WriteLog crashing.  This was on a
PC that I used on my 2nd radio for contesting.  It's a Compaq Deskpro 333 MHz
Pentium II running Win98se with an ES1869 sound card (it's actually called an
ES1869 Control Interface and ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive).  I really liked
this computer on my 2nd radio but the crashes would not allow me to use it for
contesting anymore.

I had tried everything I knew to try to fix the problem but finally replaced the
machine with my ol' reliable HP 200 MHz Pentium I back in June of 2004.  The HP
is slow and sometimes sluggish but I just couldn't afford to purchase a new PC
just to run a 2nd radio.  I really missed the DeskPro.

Your E-mail turned on a light bulb in my clogged brain.  I put the Compaq back
on line yesterday and noticed it had a similar soundcard you have (ES1869 vs.
your ES1868).  I checked the driver under the Device Manager and found that it
was using the generic Windows sound card driver.  I went on the web and
downloaded the first driver I came across for the ES1869 and loaded it.

To test it, I set up WriteLog with the MMTTY plugin for auto-CQ with my radio
powered turned all the way down into a dummy load.  I let it auto CQ all night
on and off.  When I walked into the shack this morning it was still auto-CQ'ing!
I'm about 90% sure the problem is corrected but I'll know more during the NCCC
RTTY Roundup practice runs Thursday and Friday nights.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone fixing an MMTTY plug-in for
WriteLog crash problem by updating sound card drivers, but it appears to be a
great find.

Thank You!

73, Don AA5AU

  _____