Re: [WriteLog] Radios keying up upon boot up

To: "WI8W" <wi8w@wi8w.org>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Radios keying up upon boot up
From: "Floyd Sense" <fsense@copper.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:07:38 -0500
Hi Thom. Windows does not need to initialize the serial ports at boot up. The reason it examines the serial ports is to see if there are any devices attached that need device drivers loaded in order to operate properly. If you don't have such device (modem, etc.) on a particular port, there is no need for Windows to examine that port on start-up. Microsoft has made available instructions for modifying Registry values associated with the ports so that you can instruct Windows to NOT examine specific serial ports when it starts. I followed their instructions and disabled the examination process for the serial ports I use to control my radio functions. Everything worked as advertised. The downside of this is that not everyone is capable of doing the Registry mods required, and if you make any changes in your serial ports (adding a port, or changing the port numbers), the changes are lost and you have to redo them. I don't recall the title of the Microsoft Knowledgebase article describing these changes, but can dig it out if anyone is interested.

I've found that the easiest thing to do is add a switch to my PTT/CW/FSK interface box that simply disconnects the RTS and DTR lines when the switch is turned off. That prevents any accidents on computer start-up without having to make the Registry mods.

73, K8AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "WI8W" <wi8w@wi8w.org>