Re: [WriteLog] Across Internet

To: "'VE3HG'" <ve3hg@cogeco.ca>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Across Internet
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:22:52 -0500
I would put a firewall/VPN appliance, like a ZyXel ZyWall or a Linksys RV042
at each internet connection and create a VPN tunnel between your QTH's.  It
will look like you are both on a single LAN and WriteLog should have no
problem connecting.  They are sometimes confusing to set up, so plan on
taking some time to go over and understand the manual and the principals of
VPN's (Virtual Private Networks).

Another would be to purchase 802.11 wireless access points that will handle
Point-to-Point and directional antennas and set up a wireless bridge between
both of your networks.  This is a very expensive alternative since garden
variety home wireless access points will not do PtP or external antennas,
only rather expensive "Enterprise" class ones do.

A third way would be to use Linux PC's and high speed RF modems (56k or so)
on the 440 or 1296 MHz bands (what's available in Canada?).  I would not
recommend this unless you have some understanding of Linux and RF modems or
LOTS of time to experiment and learn.

Mike, W1NR