Re: [WriteLog] Four serial port PCI Board $29 shipped

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Four serial port PCI Board $29 shipped
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:14:34 -0700
From: "Ron Stordahl" <ron.stordahl@digikey.com>
To: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Cc: <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:01 AM

> Did this boards software allow you to specify what COM ports it would create?
> For example, if your computer has 1 built in COM port (COM1), then it would
> be
> nice to create COM2,3,4 and 5 using this board.  But it that is not possible,
> then perhaps 5,6,7,8.
> One difficulty with some add in com boards is that they end up with very
> unusual port numbers, often higher than typical application software will
> support.  I have seen this happen both with add in cards and with the USB to
> Serial adapter cables.
> Often you can dig around and find a solution, but if the manfacturer is
> considerate they will document how to resolve this issue.
>
> Does SYBA document a solution to this?
>

>From the driver installation instructions (with latest downloaded drivers):

"Some versions of Windows, and some drivers, will allow the user to change some
of
the settings for the new ports, while other versions will not. Things that
might
be
able to be changed are: The port number (COM5>>COM2 for example)..."

In my XP installation, I had com1 and com2 on the motherboard, and a modem on
com3.
The new ports were automatically assigned coms 4,5,6 and 7. In device
manager/ports/
properties/port settings/advanced, you can reassign the port assignment to any
unused
com port between com 1 and com 256. I reassigned com 7 temporarily to com 8,
and
the
new assignment registered ok in device manager. I didn't test it.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.