[WriteLog] PC Shuts Down w/ Serial Cable Connected

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PC Shuts Down w/ Serial Cable Connected
From: "Bob Gates" <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:18:23 -0600
HELP!  While I have had an Extra Class ticket, but I feel like a novice.  Have
been QRT for 25 years and am just getting back into the hobby.  I realized how
far behind the times I was when I was asked to help out at a VE session
recently.  I was looking over the Extra Class exam, and my first reaction was
Holy Crap!  Over half the questions related to technologies that didn't even
exist when I was last on the air.  I still need to read up on how an "earth
station" doesn't have to be on the earth.

Anyway, I bought a Yaesu FT1000MP MARK-V to get back on the air and just
downloaded Writelog to, hopefully, use in the WPX test coming up.  I have a
Dell
Pentium desktop running Win XP Home with SP2.  Tons of memory.  Video card is a
Creative Soundblaster  Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.  I read up on the interface
requirements, and it appears that a standard 9 pin serial cable is all that is
needed to connect the rig's CAT serial port to the PC's COM port.  So I went
out
and bought one and installed it.  I went into Writelog to configure the port.
After checking COM1, selecting the rig and setting the baud rate, I clicked
okay.  Got an error message saying that COM1 was not available.  A couple of
minutes later the PC crashed.  Not crashed, actually it initiated a shut down,
saving settings etc, and turning off.  I turned the power back  on, got the
desk
top back up, but within a couple of minutes, the shutdown process began again.
Went through this process several times.  Disconnected the cable at the PC and
started up with no problems.  Checked the BIOS settings for the COM port and it
was on AUTO.  Changed it to COM1 (only other option was COM3).  Went into
Printers/Faxes and set all the port settings per the Yaesu manual:  4800,N,8,2.
Did all of this in every possible combination with the serial cable connected
and not.  Changed the BIOS back to AUTO when it didn't seem to make a
difference.  Nine hours later I'm in the same boat.  Whenever the serial cable
is connected to the PC, it will shutdown after a couple of minutes.

I know the COM port works because I used to have an older model APC UPS
controller hooked to it.  Currently have a newer version that connects to a USB
port.

I'm at my wit's end, and I'm just getting started!  I haven't even gotten to
the
audio/keyer settings yet.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

73, Bob W7BJ