Re: [WriteLog] Recording Audio

To: kk9a@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Recording Audio
From: "M. Edward Wilborne III" <wilborne@mew3.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:56:18 -0400
The safest way to convert from mono to stereo is to use an audio mixer.

Inexpensive stereo mixers can be purchased at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=32-2056

or

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=32-2057

Or your local music supply store, etc.

They also use to have a different mixer which was around $50 that I use.
  I simply bought a variety of "convert-this-to-that" adapters (i.e.
stereo headphone to dual RCA, etc.) and can pretty much route audio from
any source anywhere and in any format.

I used this method to record a demonstration of RTTY for a ham class
we're teaching here in Virginia...  I was able to record the
transmitting audio on a second receiver, and mix in the receive audio
from the transmitter, both of which are monophonic, and output all the
audio to a left and right input jack of a stereo recorder.

Ed - AD4AX

kk9a@arrl.net wrote:
> I've been recording the audio with Writelog for the last few years by using
> a simple stereo cable from the AF Output jack on my Yaesu FT-1000MP-Mark-V
> to the Line-In on my sound card.   This set up basically works, however some
> QSO's don't get recorded, such as when I work split on 40m and listen on VFO
> B or make a QSO on a second radio.  I would like to try recording from my
> headphone jack so what ever I hear is recorded.  For now, I would like to
> record on a lap top which only has a mic input.   The headphones are stereo
> and I think the mic input is mono.  I would also like to use isolation
> transformers.   I'm assuming that you need two transformers, what's the
> safest way to convert stereo to mono?  Is the audio level from the headphone
> jack too strong for the mic input?
>
> John KK9A / P40A

M. Edward Wilborne III

Astronomical software for your Palm Handheld: http://mew3.com/