[WriteLog] MK1100 keyer erratic behaviour

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MK1100 keyer erratic behaviour
From: "Clive Whelan" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:06:12 -0000
Hi list

I've used the MK1100 now for about three years with impeccable performance.
However, today I ran into a problem which really has me baffled, and I
wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Preamble: The difficulties described, followed an episode where the
configuration info. seemed to have been lost, and I had to reset the ports
for both left and right radios. Also the window layout of (all) previous
contests had been lost, despite having saved configuration in all cases.

Symptoms: Having corrected the above problem, I then didn't seem to have any
message send capability, despite these being correctly set up. I suspect,
but am not 100% sure, that this was because the stuff was being sent on the
wrong radio, which was actually powered off. It then became clear that
switching keying/audio via the arrow keys was not working, although using
the external mini control box seemed to work (mostly). When sending a
message on the left radio pressing ESC would abort the message as usual, but
seemed to hold the PTT in. I now know that this was because that action was
actually switching the headphones ( and key) to the right radio! Also when
attempting to increase or decrease speed using page up/page down keys, the
same thing would occur.

Now, if keying/headphones is switched manually to the right radio,ESC and
pageup/page down can be used with entirely normal and predictable results.
but when switching manually back to the left radio, the abnormal and bizarre
behaviour occurs, as described above.

At first sight this appears to be some catastrophic failure of perhaps the
ROM chip in the keyer, but perhaps there is a simpler explanation.

Any tips appreciated.

73

Clive

GW3NJW