[WriteLog] Use Keyboard Macro to do S&P

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Use Keyboard Macro to do S&P
From: Dennis Mowers <k5ya@gvtc.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:54:46 -0500
Here are a couple of tips for adding some shortcuts to WL, using a
Keyboard Macro program such as "Macro Express".

I use a keyboard purchased from Comp USA,  for around $20.

It has a Mouse Wheel in the center of a set of split space bar keys, and
9 keys instead of the usual 6 keys just above the four arrow keys, and
next to the Enter key.

First, the mouse wheel is handy for tuning the receiver to those way off
freq callers without moving your hands off the keyboard.

For S&P, the extra keys are next to the Enter key, and two of them may
be set up to do S&P.

Label one with your S&P and your  call, and program it to send the
message where you have stored your call.  Make sure that you preceed
your call with %B%.

Label another key "S&P Xchg", and program it to send the F2
message+ENTER to log the QSO.

Now when you are doing S&P, you type in the station call and hit your
"S&P Call" key,.  If it is a dupe, nothing happens.  If it is a new
station, your call is sent.  After you enter the exchange, hit the "S&P
Xchg" key, and the exchange is sent, and the QSO is logged.  Just
remember you are doing S&P, so DON'T use the Enter key.

Of the six keys next to Enter, page up/down and delete are normally
used.  But after setting up S&P, there are four more keys that may be
programmed for often used  functions.

I have mine set for "Quick QSL", which sends just TU, "Clr Entry"  which
clears all fields in the exchange window, "Partial Call ?", which sends
the call window contents + ?, and "Back", which for the IARU tabbed back
twice to get me from the zone field to the call field.

73, Dennis - K5YA