Re: [WriteLog] More userport vs. XP problems

To: "'WriteLog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] More userport vs. XP problems
From: "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <W5OV@W5OV.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:54:54 -0500
IBM notebooks are unique (I love mine - a 600E) in that there is both CMOS
setup, and a software setup for the hardware.  You may need to use both.

You can find some info here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4YQJQJ

There also is a utility called PS2.EXE that directly manipulates the ports
which you may need to use.

You can find more about it here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndo
cid=MIGR-4E7QAK

If you don't have it, you can download it here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZFPEG

This is the command list for the PS2.EXE command line utility:

C:\THINKPAD>PS2 ? PARallel
Command Syntax:
PS2 PARallel Enable|Disable ADDress 1|2|3 MOde Uni|Bi|EPP|ECP DMA 0|1|3
Description : Use this parameter to set up the parallel port.

As for 'ADDress',
1:LPT1(3BCh,IRQ7)
2:LPT2(378h,IRQ7)
3:LPT3(278h,IRQ5)

As for 'MOde',
Uni :Uni-directional
Bi :Bi-directional
EPP :Enhanced Parallel Port
ECP :Extended Capabilities Port

Current State : Enable
When 'Enable' is selected,following parameter will be effective:
ADDress : 1
MOde : Bi
DMA : Disable

I had to do this over dial-up from Antigua just before a CQWW contest to get
two IBM notebooks working so I vividly remember this.

I am not certain that this will solve your problem with the T42, but IBM
lists that model as supported by this utility.

73,

Bob W5OV
(ex N5NJ)