Re: [WriteLog] SO2R and a pair of TS-480

To: rmthorne@cox.net
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2R and a pair of TS-480
From: Dave L Thompson <k4jrb@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:32:03 -0400
Rich,

I thought the 480 had a separate RX antenna connection on the back...geez
even my old IC-740 has that.  The bummer is no way to switch from the
front panel.

If you work 80 and 40 you will eventually need a RX antenna.  A K9AY loop
works fine. I had K9AY help me design and build the loops as per his QST
aerticle.  We decided that my Palomar pre-amp was all I needed so I saved
having the elaborate relay switching that is used in the commercial K9AY
system.  I have one loop up Broadside NE/SW now and I find it works
fairly Omni.  My neighbor cut the tree (on our property line) that was to
hold one end of the second loop.  The K9AY loop works far better on noise
reduction that the old AB0X shielded loop laying on my roof.

On 160 the single loop hears vvery well...makes you mad as you can hear
DX clearly and they don't hear me and my 8877 to a elevated dipole L.  I
often am the one to tell someone (who probably has a beverage) to go
ahead he came back to them.  Gotta get my big 160 T up.
73 Dave K4JRB