[WriteLog] Problem with Rig Control using FT1000

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Problem with Rig Control using FT1000
From: "DENYS BROSNAN ZL2AWH" <zl2awh.denysb@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:05:56 +1200
I have recently purchased Writelog and there are a few things I have not been
able to resolve.

Rig Control. I only wish to use the one rig, an FT1000, one of the early ones.
I think it has a version 5 eprom as against the version 6 in the later models.
Whether this makes any difference I do'nt know.

The control partially works. I am able to change freq and band from the
computer but the readout on the LH end of the Entry Field, if it changes at all
goes back to reading 21217 and the mode seems to read anything but what I am
using. I am also unable to manually tune the rig more than about 5 KHz and if I
change bands or modes at the rig the computer disregards them. The interface
between them is a new one from W1GEE. Rig control is centred on COM1.

COMM Ports. I have 6 COM Ports on the Computer which incidently uses XP
Professional as an OS and I wish to use port 5 in place of port3 on the Port
SetUp Window for the CW feed (My port three has the inbuilt modem on it.) but I
cannot find anywhere that tells me how to do it except for "CommSlot1=1" and
"CommSlot2=2" which appears in the manual. It does not say what to do with them
and when I placed them in the ini file it took exception to it.

The interface for CW is a DIP printed circuit relay which has operated quite
well on TR and Super Duper so should be OK with WL. (DTR line)

QRS Key. I can not find any reference to a key which when pressed will drop the
CW speed down a set amount say 8 wpm. I find this asset extremely useful to
help newcomers into contest work. Here in ZL ofcourse there is no requirement
for CW to get a licence so for some of these chaps it is a shock to be hit with
25 to 35+ wpm in a contest and they just give up. I myself find anything above
22 wpm hard going these days, the trouble is there are not many ops about who
are even willing to QRS.

Denys