Re: [WriteLog] WL in NCCC CQP and Backup et.al.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>, "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL in NCCC CQP and Backup et.al.
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:30:34 -0500
Eric
Write a simple .bat file with a line such as this.

Xcopy "C:\WINDOWS\Writelog\Contest\contestname"   "D:\Backup\"   /D /Y /R

where contestname is the name you gave to the log file
and
"D:\Backup\" is the drive letter of the USB drive (and the directory you
created on it)

Name the little .bat file and create a shortcut to it.

Just click on it occasionally during a slow time between contacts.
It will automagically rewrite the saved log.
the /D /Y /R are switches that tell it to overwrite and existing only if
changes have been
made since the last writing.

I do this during contests myself, but usually just to another hard disk on the
computer.
Using a jump drive is actually a better idea because if the computer dies, you
can just
switch the drive to another machine. Going to get myself another jumpdrive
specifically
for that purpose.