Re: [WriteLog] Winkey in WL

To: Clive Whelan <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Winkey in WL
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:35:58 -0700
In Setup | Ports, select the appropriate serial port under the left-most
column ("CW"). Then select "K1EL Winkey" under CW Keyer Type (bottom, right
of center). This should work. Don't forget to do Setup | Save Configuration.

If you don't see "K1EL Winkey" under CW Keyer Type, then you are running an
old version of Writelog that doesn't support Winkey and will need to
upgrade.

If your Winkey is connected to a serial port whose identification doesn't
appear in the left-hand column of port labels in Setup | Ports, then you
have to coerce Writelog into listing it. You do this in Writelog.ini in your
operating system folder (usually c:\WINDOWS or c:\WINNT). Find the "COMx:="
entries in the [Ports] section. For example, mine now says

COM5:=9600,n,8,1
COM6:=9600,n,8,1
COM7:=9600,n,8,1
COM8:=9600,n,8,1
CommSlot4=8
CommSlot3=7
CommSlot2=6
CommSlot1=5

This gives me COM5-8 instead of COM1-4. Pleasantly, it doesn't disturb the
rotor control serial port selection which seems to be more intelligent and,
at least in my installation, allows COM1-8 without coercion.

What O/S are you using userport on? I couldn't get it to work when I
migrated to Win XP and had to switch to direct-io instead.

If you find a way to get a good paddle feel with Winkey under Writelog,
please let me know. Although I can make it feel great when using the wktest
program, I haven't discovered enough Writelog parameters to make usable.
Winkey supports direct ASCII input of all control parameters, but Writelog
won't let you provide that string yourself. Instead, it provides some
Writelog.ini parameters that it formats into the control string for you. I
don't know which is the magic parameter but I don't think it is included.
FWIW, the best combo I've found so far is

[K1EL Winkey parameters believed to be valid]
PotRange=255
SetKeyMode=0
PaddleSwap=0
PaddleWatchdog=1
[K1EL parameters I made up and may be meaningless]
KeyerMode=IambicB
AutoSpace=0

Those last two are probably wishful thinking and doing nothing. I haven't
found any documentation for any of these but it may exist. I haven't looked
very hard. There may be differently spelled parameters that work but I
haven't discovered them. Let me know if you do!

GL & 161,

/Rick N6XI

On 9/30/05, Clive Whelan <clive.whelan@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Well I finally got my DXdoubler to work with WL by running userport, and
> all
> the switching works FB. Also WL will key OK on the LPT port when computer
> keying is selected, so obviously the driver is working OK. However Winkey
> is
> not working despite having it selected in Ports etc. In fact I am at a
> loss
> to see how it could, because there doesn't seem to be anywhere to tell WL
> which COM port is controlling Winkey.
>
> Anyone been there?
>

> 73
>

> Clive