[WriteLog] Problem with CI-V & Writelog

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Problem with CI-V & Writelog
From: "montemerlo" <montemerlo@nnei.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:15:25 -0500
All

I have already responded to Jerry so this is just for the record.

I do not have a great deal of experience with all aspects fot the ProIII-
Microkeyer-PW1-Steppir CI-V operation and have not tried band decoders yet
but other that with my favorite RTTY contesting program (Writelog), I do not
have a problem and the Steppir controller reads perfectly.

I also did not have a problem (with LP) until the PW1 was added to the mix
as a trial during a contest. I have a theory (maybe flawed) but since the
PW1 recieves band data from the ProIII on both the ACC connector and over
the CI-V link I believe it requires a close integration with the ProIII and
this results in the band switching delay when Writelog is in control. Said
another way the PW1 may need both set of information to come into sync and
doesn't appreciate anything but the ProIII changing bands directly as is the
case when only Writelog is polling. Further the symtoms suggest that when
both the ProIII & Writelog poll, Writelog's timing is marginal causing the
occasional flickering PW1 band indication. This situation is totally
duplicateable in my setup.

Again I would like to know if anyone with this setup has the problem and if
any of the other alternative contesting programs have solved this problem.

Thanks

Bob KB1JZU
kb1jzu@arrl.net