[WriteLog] Another CW Setup Question - Multiple Keying Sources

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Another CW Setup Question - Multiple Keying Sources
From: "Kevin der Kinderen" <kevin@kj4qf.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:56:42 +0000
Not specific to WL, but I would guess this is not an uncommon configuration
here.

I have my keyer with paddles, a straight key and the computer serial port
hooked up to my TS-830. The computer interface and the keyer are set up for
grid block. All three connect through a 3-way audio cable (with adapters) to
the rig.

I have noticed at times when I'm sending cw, all of a sudden I get a
constant key down that stays there until I pull the key plug from the back
of the radio disconnecting all three keying sources. This seems to have
started ever since bringing the serial port online for CW. I don't think
it's RF related as I'm not seeing problems at any other time.

Question is - should I be providing some sort of isolation between the three
key inputs? Holding down the straight key effectively places a short on the
keyer and computer interface outputs. I didn't think this would be a problem
- but now my best guess is I need to look more closely at it.

73,

Kevin - K4VD

Kevin der Kinderen

http://kj4qf.net/