[WriteLog] WL 10.5x & network with Win98

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL 10.5x & network with Win98
From: "ik2bcp - Guido Tedeschi" <guido.ted@tin.it>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:39:35 +0100
In our M/S setup, we are using 3 PC (K6/233 and P166MMX with 128MB and
PII/400 with 256MB) with Windows 98 (Run, Multipliers and Cluster+tactics),
no any other software installed, only Writelog and MMTTY, plus W6EL-Prop on
tactics PC.
We were using Writelog version 10.40J without any problem: all worked fine
and performed flawlessly, with complete contest audio records, many gab
messages, and no single Windows or WL crash suffered, never.
After having some problems with multipliers characters lenght in 2004 IARU
World Championship, we (me and ik2gsn) upgraded to version 10.5x and used
version 10.54 in July, during the last IARU.
Using TCP/IP, we suffered some problems of slow network, network gab message
loops and other minor issues, switching to NetDDE solved the big problems,
but network slowness remained.
For the CQWW SSB in October, we upgraded to 10.55, because we read that some
network issues were corrected, but, during the contest, it was a nightmare
with slowness, loopings, disconnections and crashes, with TCP/IP and, also,
after switching back to NetDDE.
In the middle of contest, I had to uninstall from all the PC the version
10.55 and install a version 10.33 that, luckily, I had on one hard disk.
One thing, I suppose, is that from version 10.5x, the network management of
WL has been completely changed and has lost some compatibilities with
Win98...
We can change our PC with upgraded hardware (PIII or better) and Windows XP,
but we must be sure that this will solve the problems and we can use WL10.55
and TCP/IP safely.
I would know if any team is using successfully WL10.55 in Multi environment
(at least 3 PC) without problems and what operating system and hardware they
are using.
Thanks and 73
Guido, ik2bcp / iu2r