Re: [WriteLog] extra SSB memories questions

To: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>,"Writelog List" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] extra SSB memories questions
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:28:47 -0800
I went through this when the extra message buffers were first included. It
made me crazy that new stuff was included without any explanation of  how to
utilize it. The K9JY site did not cover it because its contents at that time
had not been updated to reflect the new features. It was like buying a kit
that had no instructions and no schematic---just parts.

Another correspondent had mentioned that the writelog.ini file or keyboard
shortcuts can be used to switch Shift+Fox functionality from
Record-on-the-Fly to message access but I see no reason to give up
Record-on-the-Fly, which affords real-time flexibility.

The solution to playing the second SSB set lies in the Keyboard Shortcuts.
Included within that feature are THREE sets of message-handling
functions---Message02-Message11, MessageShift02-MessageShift11 and
MessageShiftPh02-MessageShiftPh11. One defines keys to access the latter
buffer set. Since Alt- and Ctrl- functions are already defined for the
F-keys, he most obvious keys to utilize are the number keys. I merely
defined Alt-1, Alt-2... to play the MessageShiftPhone buffers.

Since on-the-fly is unavailable for the MessageShiftPhXX buffers, creating
the CONTENTS of the buffers must be accomplished indirectly, using the
Windows Sound Recorder or an equivalent aftermarket tool. Bear in mind that
the default .wav files <msg12.wav>-<msg21.wav> can be altered and combined
with operators such as %, %C, etc. just like the first ten .wav files with
which we are all familiar.

Ironically, in my own case, having solved the problem, I promptly forgot
about it and only rediscovered just now that I had defined the Alt-X keys as
above, and had spent time before SS creating a path to a second CQ, etc!
Another instance of CRS Syndrome.

I hope this clarifies rather than muddies the water.

Garry, NI6T