Re: [WriteLog] Audio Situation & RF

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Audio Situation & RF
From: "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <W5OV@W5OV.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:56:38 -0600
Rick,

I have used several different sound cards in various brands of computers,
with excellent results.  The performance is as good as it used to be with a
K1EA DVP.  No noise.  The notebook computer I use is an IBM 600E ThinkPad.
I plug the Heil right into the audio in jack on the laptop, and the audio
output right into the SO2R switch box.  Mine is homebrew, but does the same
as your DXDoubler (DXD).

Your "tech pal" was wrong when he assumed that connecting all the mic
grounds together would be OK.  Some radio mic input "grounds" (mic low side)
are not really grounded, and if you do ground them, it may cause problems.
Kenwoods are especially susceptible to this.  This may be what you have
experienced.

I'm confused why you are rigging up additional relays when the DX Doubler's
purpose is to handle all of the SO2R switching for you - including
footswitch, mic, headphones, key, etc.  I also think your focus on using VOX
is somewhat misguided.  When you use PTT from the computer to send the WAV
files, the computer handles the PTT so the radio will transmit only when it
is supposed to.

What purpose does the signal link box serve?  I don't think you need this
device.

What is the purpose of all the mono/stereo adapters you are struggling with?

WriteLog, in tandem with the DX Doubler, should do everything you want/need
to do SO2R without any of the hassle you seem to be having.  Page 12 of the
DX Doubler User's Manual shows the diagram of everything you need.  The
diagram shows a DVP, but in your case, that is equivalent to the computer
sound card's input and output.

73,

Bob W5OV