Re: [WriteLog] Network Instability--some data to gather

To: w5xd@writelog.com, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network Instability--some data to gather
From: "Richard L. King" <k5na@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:30:08 +0000
Hi Wayne.

I didn't see your note until after the contest so I don't have any
specific data that you asked for from the failures.

I will describe what happened to me this weekend.

I setup to send a back-up log copy to Susan's (K5DU) laptop. She
likes to see what I am doing as she studies her homework in the
kitchen. She went back to school after retirement.

Since I did a single-op assisted, I was also connected to the
AR-Cluster in the same room using wireless TCP/IP. There was nothing
else on the network which means the entire network for the weekend
was wireless.

The computer here is a P4 running 2.6G and 1G of RAM with Win/XP. The
network was TCP/IP.

The first bandmap flicker problem occurred about 20 hours into the
contest and required a reboot. Later I had a system hang that
afternoon I had a complete system hang without the flicker and I
rebooted again. This hang affected the AR-Cluster across the room but
the AR-Cluster freed up from its hang after I rebooted my logging computer.

The second 24 hours I had several flicker problems getting more often
near the end of the contest. Sometimes they would affect the
AR-Cluster across the room and sometimes not. The only common thing
is that they share the wireless network and make it very busy.
Sometimes I was connected to my own AR-Cluster with my logging
machine and sometime I was connected through Internet to AB5K. The
reason for that is that our cluster RF-Link gets backed up during
heavy contest spotting.

I somehow think that the network is the focus of the problem. When it
gets too clogged with activity, bad things happen to the computers
using it depending on timing, busyness, etc.

Sorry I don't have any solid problem data to provide for you. Maybe next time.

73, Richard - K5NA

k5na@texas.net