Re: [WriteLog] network issues--is Gab involved?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] network issues--is Gab involved?
From: Artur Dworak <artur@setilabs.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 04:31:21 +0100
Hi Wayne,!

(I send this email to Wayne, but jus in case I send it to this reflector).
This is small portion of questions about fixes/futures addons to WriteLog.

Folks, keep in mind, that WriteLog is big, multifuction aplication.
To be corect, I can say, that I like this program, nice job, but in the
other side, writelog sometimes is very frustrating to use/service.

My orginal email to Wayne follow.

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005, Wayne, W5XD wrote:

> By design, the gab function on every station in the network remembers the
> last gab message from every station in the network. When you connect to a
> running network, you should, by design, see a series of gab messages, but no
> more than the latest one from each station. So when it reconnects, it should
> take at most a couple of seconds for the gab window to scroll through those
> last ones, and then it should stop (assuming, of course, there are no new
> ones being typed in by other operators). Can anyone confirm whether this
> behavior is happening to the gab at reconnect?

1. If I recal in most situations its working this way.
2. Can you add to ini file some keys.
   - rate limit of gab messages
   - user selectable refresh rate of band map - 1, 5, 15, 30, 60 sec or
     more.
   - how many sec to wait between xml messages when synhro up with tomcat
server
    ( now it can last several minutes to about 2h or more when log is realy big)
   - or simply (for user) to enter speed of his link.
   - Can You add more keys to conntrol network parameters ?
3. GAB is not working at all when using tcpip and tomcat serwer.
4. GAB has many other bugs preventing for serious use in more then few
   stations, if You want I can search my archives and send You ethereal
   packet dumps when it crached stations.
5. Very serious problem with WL. I can't realy find what function is
   leaking, but when log is big, WL start to grab more and more memory, and in
   the and it craches. I think that problem is with glue logic to/from BandMap,
   but not only. I have at home situation that WL is consumed close to 2048MB of
   ram - workstation have 2G. When it aproch this size it dies. Memory usage
   is very rapid - from normal value to crach in less then 90sec.
6. How about to add same more roboust fail safe checks about systems resources ?
   and issuse warnings to user when soft and hard limits are aproching ?
   IMHO its better to know in advance that log will be unstable then see crash
error message in the midle off hot osqs.
7. There is no check - posible buffer overflow in function relate to QSO SEQ
number - when seq number is very high it flip to negative numbers.
    In IARU it hits as, but WL is still able to work, but it look very funn. As
network/unix guy I laugh some time when I saw this for first time..
    It is (simple and silly mistake). Please FIX it.
8. Can You update java portions of server to never verisons of tomcat ?
   I can help You.
9. Can You post more info about XML/SOAP messages to/from Tomcat ?
10. Can You write "watch" only aplication - code to link WL Tomcat with
database via java connetors ? It will be very usefull for many teams.
11. Can You add to WriteLog PC aplication user interface function to check
exchange information about what versions of WriteLog is running. It will issue
warning when thay detect situatian when are more then ONE version
in local LAN. When WL PC are connected via tcpip Tomcat it dasn't (almost)
metter what version is running at pc side.
12.... Ok. for now it will be less than 1/3 quesuions.

Wayne, plese respond.

Best regards.

Artur SP5QA