[WriteLog] Fw: Piexx UX-14px comments from Piexx

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Fw: Piexx UX-14px comments from Piexx
From: "JerryBliss - k6iii" <k6iii@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:52:31 GMT

Chris,
Thanks for the lengthy explanation.
I am confident that the UX-14px is working OK because some s/w tools are
successful in setting the radio as commanded.

It sure looks like it must be the WriteLog software that has a problem. Perhaps
some commonly used DLL has been corrupted.

Yes, with the WriteLog s/w I can read info out of the radio, ok, but not able
to set the radio to mode/freq.

I think I am going to have to take the radio over to another ham's QTH and see
if it will work with his version of the WriteLog s/w.

Thank you, again, for your comments. I am  confident that there is no
undocumented IC-751a settings that I need to adjust. I am currently running the
UX-14px at 4800-baud (it ran OK at 9600 baud, too) and have the Transciever
switch set to OFF as you recommended. Still the problem persists.

de Jerry/k6iii
San Jose, CA

-- "Chris Sieg" <piexx@conknet.com> wrote:
Hi Jerry,
  The UX-14px is an RS-232 based serial interface for the IC-751(a) and a
few other radios. It is not platform dependent; as long as you select the
appropriate com port parameters, and the Computer software is doing what it
should, you are all set. You indicated that you could interogate and set the
frequency with other software, so you must have a handle on the correct com
port settings. In one of your emails you said:

> Each of these features performed as advertised, EXCEPT the rig WILL NOT go
> to Frequency or Mode as commanded by WL.

Does this mean that with the 'problem' software you are able to utilize some
of the features of the software that require that the radio, and it's serial
interface, be present and working? If you can , then you have set the com
port settings correctly to establish communications between the radio and
the PC software and should probably leave them alone. On the other hand, if
you can't communicate with the radio in any way , via the 'problem'
software, then you need to establish the correct com setting for the
software.

The above question needs to be answered before any other troubleshooting is
employed. Simply messing with dip switch settings and Program settings
without a clear course of action is going to only cause further confusion...

If you have established communications with another program, then you know
the appropriate com settings, don't start changing dip switches once you
have established this information. The one exception to this is the
TRANSCEIVE dip switch, this should be set to the disabled position. The
transceive feature was incorporated for compatibility with the original
UX-14, and probably should never be used on the original or my version of
the interface.

There was some mention to old firmware in one of the emails you received.
The firmware for the UX-14 px has not been modified since 2002, when we went
from beta site customers to the final release firmware.

-Chris
EMail piexx@conknet.com
WEB www.piexx.com