Re: [WriteLog] W5XD keyer via usb to serial adapter cw keying delay

To: ve3ey@rac.ca, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] W5XD keyer via usb to serial adapter cw keying delay
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:00:58 +0000
Nick,

I have always had to keep my W5XD keyer on a real native comm port. Even
when I assigned it to add-in comm port boards it did not work well. I
imagine that USB to Serial would be even worse.

I believe it has to do with the way information is sent to the keyer by
toggling some of the control lines. There seems to be too much latency when
you do this via add-in comm ports.

I wonder if this is why many are going to the microham keyer now?

Jerry, W6IHG