[WriteLog] Requested 3 Enter key sequence for RTTY in WL

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Requested 3 Enter key sequence for RTTY in WL
From: "James Sullivan" <jims@psws.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:56:35 -0700

I was not available to comment on the recent ESM postings.
All of the ESM comments, I read, did not address the functionality I want.

I would like to use the 'Enter sends exch/QRZ' mode, under WL Entry menu, in
order to use the 3 Enter key sequence for making QSOs on RTTY.
This mode works great for phone or CW.

My goal is NOT to be able to hit the ENTER keyboard key 3 times for a Q.
If you have a Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse you can install the latest
drivers(5.2 or greater)to increase WL functionality. These drivers let you
map any mouse button to any key closure (including F keys).
My methods maps the Mouse Wheel switch to the ENTER key.
In RTTY contests this could allow me to Mouse the entire QSO, when running,
with just the Left mouse button and the center Mouse wheel switch.
The sequence is:
        ENTER for calling CQ
        LEFT mouse for grabbing Callsign
        ENTER for sending TX exchange
        LEFT mouse for grabbing received Rx exchange
        ENTER to Log QSO and send QRZ. (no Insert keys...)
Added benefits to the new mouse driver include using all 5 buttons to also
support S&P mode.
In addition you can map the mouse buttons special functionality just for WL.
When you are not using WL the button mappings default back to normal
operation on your PC.

As pointed out in previous discussions the 3 ENTER key sequence in RTTY is
broken
There is a very simple reason why it is broke in RTTY.

For some reason WL moves the entry cursor to the first '9' in the RS field's
default 599 after you select a callsign with the LEFT mouse button.
I suppose this allows you to reach up and hit an 8 key if your report is
589.
In RTTY contest almost all reports are 599.
If someone actually gives you a 589, you cannot LEFT mouse on the report and
have it put the report in the RS field. You have to strike the 8 key.
This seems like some sort of broken paradigm to me.
I think this auto move to the RS field functionality would not be missed if
deleted.
This auto cursor move is not compatible with the 'Enter sends exch/QRZ' mode
because this mode assumes the next ENTER key should log the QSO instead of
sending the TX exchange.

If the cursor would NOT auto move to the RS field, the 3 ENTER key
sequencing would work.
After selecting the callsign with the LEFT mouse button the cursor should be
left in the CALL field to allow the next ENTER to send the TX exchange.

My Fix is for WL to allow a user to turn OFF this auto cursor RS movement
after a call is clicked-on via a user optional entry in the WL [ENTRY] ini
section.

I have asked the WL people for this simple change, but have received NO
response.
I see some RTTY changes in the latest beta but not the one I requested.

Jim W7EJ CN2R

---
[This E-mail Scanned for viruses by Online Northwest]