[WriteLog] ADIF County Conversion Software

To: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: [WriteLog] ADIF County Conversion Software
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:21:51 -0400
In October 2004, I released a program designed aid in the import of
QSO party contest logs into general purpose logging programs,
automating the conversion of county abbreviations (like "ADA") into
ADIF-compatible county names ("PA,Adams").

Today I released version 2.0 of this program:

        http://software.ad1c.us/

This program should work both in DOS and in an MS-DOS window under
all flavors of MS Windows.  Type the name of the program by itself to
see the syntax, as well as the complete list of QSO parties supported.

Here are the release notes for the current version:

* Added: DE, HI, KY, LA, MDC, MO, NJ, NV, OK, OR, SC, VA, VT, WA, WV

* Added: 7-land QSO Party, Mid-Atlantic QSO Party, New England QSO Party

* Recognize Writelog-application-specific ADIF tags

* Added warning about county-line QSOs

The program now supports all state QSO parties in Writelog 10.59 as
well as most state QSO parties in N1MM Logger (a few are not
supported yet because the contest sponsors have not provided a list
of abbreviations).

There are a couple things to note:

* Only recommended or official county abbreviations are
recognized.  For example, MTE (not MAN) is the correct abbreviation
for Manatee, FL.  The program will make its best guess (and show a
warning) if it doesn't recognize an abbreviation.

* County lines are not really supported.  The program will give you a
warning, and generate ADIF "CNTY" tags for each county logged in a
single QSO, but in the same ADIF QSO record (i.e the ADIF QSO record
will have multiple "CNTY" tags).  Your logging program may choose the
first one or last one, or something in between.  I have two possible
ways to fix this, but have not decided on one yet:

1.  Duplicate the QSO multiple times, once for each county.
2.  Use different but unsupported ADIF tags (i.e. CTY2, CTY3, etc.)

If you are a CT user, CT to ADIF already does this conversion.  7QP
will be added shortly.

Please report any bugs, suggestions for improvements, etc. to me
directly.  Please spread the word on your logging and state QSO party
reflectors.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us