Re: [WriteLog] More info on QTH field

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>,"K7ZO (Scott Tuthill)" <k7zo@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] More info on QTH field
From: "Gary Senesac AL9A" <al9a@pobox.mtaonline.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:21:46 -0800
Scott,

Thanks for sharing your email string with Bruce,WA7BNM.  After reading his
comments, it is obvious that my reading of the rules is all wrong!
Apologies to all.  The most relevant part of Bruce's message is:

"Missing or ambiguous QTHs for QSOs with North American stations will result
in the loss of the QSO. The test of a QTH designation is whether you can
determine the state/province/country from only the QTH
 info without knowledge of the corresponding call sign. The exception to
this criteria is when the standard DXCC country abbreviation is the same as
a postal code (e.g. CO=Colorado and CO=Cuba, HI=Hawaii and HI=Honduras,
etc.)."

>From this is it obvious that all my previous comments are without merit and
should be disregarded.  I just tried another trial run of a few calls DX NA
calls, but this time created a Cabrillo file.  Much to my surprise, and
dismay, the Country info is NOT included in the Cabrillo file!  Since the
NAQP contest robot is only looking at QTH info to determine the
state/province/country the current WL NAQP contest module is defective in
its logic.  A call such as 8P5A, a valid NA country, cannot possibly be
entered into the QTH field because of the leading number.  Hopefully, the
author of this module has been following these strings and will post a
corrected version soon.  The QTH field must be modified to accept alpha
numeric strings that are longer than two positions.  It would be nice if
this could be done before next Sat. to avoid everyone having to go into
their Cabrillo logs and hand edit a bunch of QTH field errors!

Again thanks for the heads up!
Gary AL9A