[WriteLog] W5XD Multi-Keyer audio switching problem

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] W5XD Multi-Keyer audio switching problem
From: "Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO)" <afrugoli@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 22:36:02 -0400
I've owned a W5XD Multi Keyer for about 4 or 5 years.  It's always
worked flawlessly, except today.  I'm reassembling my shack after about
18 months of inactivity, and there's a problem wtih the audio switching
on the Multi Keyer.

When the keyer is first connected to the power, it will switch the audio
between L and R radios.  It works for about 30 seconds or so - then
stops working.  If I power the keyer off using the power switch, it does
not correct the problem, however turning off the power supply and
turning int back on does correct the problem.  Again, for 30 seconds or
so.  When the audio switching stops working, everything else still works
just fine (cw keying switches from 1 rig to the other).  This problem
occurs using the remote switch or using the computer.  The other thing I
noticed is that while switching from radio L to R rapidly on the
computer, the audio switching relays slowly get quieter before they stop
switching at all.  As the relay clicks get quieter, the audio from the R
rig gets quieter and quieter when it's the selected rig.  When the
relays stop responding, radio L is selected and the audio is very clear.

Any thoughts?  Are the relays just "old" and need to be replaced?  It
seems odd that they work on power-up, but slowly stop working.  Almost
seems like somethign is getting "saturated".

Thanks.

73 de Al, KE1FO

--
73 de Al, KE1FO