Re: [WriteLog] Laptop Soundcards - My Findings

To: <rmthorne@cox.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Laptop Soundcards - My Findings
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 16:47:46 -0400
Rich,

The current HP laptops with "Conexant AMC Audio" will echo the mic to
the headphone/speaker output.  The Soundboard test program gives them
a score of 6b.  However, the report indicated that the mixer lacked
MUX or Mute switches for mic and line inputs and WriteLog would be
unable to automatically switch between mic (Shit+Fn) for recording and
Line for tape loop (audio review) recording.

Of course the report was expected as the laptop has only one input
(the mic)!

This is an HP Pavilion series laptop ... I believe there is a Compaq
line that is identical to the HP except for the case/nameplate.

In any case, I suspect the Audigy2ZS (or an older SoundBlaster MP3+
USB) are the best way to insure full two radio audio support with
WriteLog.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America