Re: [WriteLog] WL networking log problem solved

To: Georgek5kg@aol.com, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL networking log problem solved
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:42:08 +0000
George,

I have noticed the Name Resolution is turned OFF by most firewalls (so
files can not be shared between machines). When you start up with the
firewall running you might have missed the netbios hand shaking. So when
the firewalls are turned off, there is no name resolution.

The solution I have used, since I have fixed IP addresses on all my
machines is to put a lmhosts file on the machines with all the name-IP
pairs. This seems to keep me out of trouble.   Or you need DHCP to act as a
DNS for you.

IP addresses always seems to work when all else fails.

Jerry, W6IHG