Re: [WriteLog] Writelog + Signalink

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog + Signalink
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:18:45 -0800
Finn, OZ4EL, inquired:

> Who can help me with my setup of writelog and my whole new investing of
> SignaLink SL-1+
>
> There is no usb or comport, just direvt from pc windows soundcard and to the
> Signalink.
> Nothing is working under the setup in Writelog.
> Who have tge answers.

I have 4 SignaLink SL-1+ units (2 for my TS-480S rigs & 2 for the TS-870's).
HOWEVER...

I discovered with using the first one several years ago, that the existing
adjustments *inside* the SignaLink units would not cut the mustard for SSB
contesting.  They are tricky to adjust in the first place, but I could never
get a fast enough front-end trigger time without a resulting unacceptable
excessive release time at the end.  This may not be an issue for PSK/Digital
stuff.

So, I paid $$$ (can't remember how much) to have the SignaLink folks install
two more potentiometers inside *each* unit, that with a lot of final tweaking
made things workable (but not as tight as I would like).  I also encouraged
them to put the mods into any new versions, because serious SSB Contesters
would need the faster attack & quicker release time to work properly.  I don't
know what they've done about this, since I had the mods made a year ago or so.

There was another problem in getting things to work right with WriteLog, and I
seem to recall that it also requires changing the CommPTT option in the Radio
Ports setup to "NO".  Since I operate primarily CW, each time I go back to SSB,
I have to figure things out again (I'm way overdue for an SSB connectivity
checklist here).

You must follow the SignaLink instructions for setting your Volume control
playback level in your computer.  The mini-CD that came with the unit(s) had
some kind of "TEST" program involving an audio tone.

I don't know what type of radio you have, but the wiring jumpers *inside* the
SignaLink must be configured correctly in conjunction with whatever cable you
are using to come out of the SignaLink directly into any auxilary port on the
radio.  There also be some Menu settings in your radio that need to be changed
as well.  My TS-480's were more difficult to get working properly than the
TS-870's (both use DIFFERENT xx-pin DIN connector cables, BTW).

The terminology used by the SignaLink folks for the computer audio 1/8" IN/OUT
mini-jacks on the back of the units is a bit confusing.  I seem to keep getting
them backwards when going portable.  One line goes to the computer microphone
input, and the other goes to the speaker output.  One of these days I'll put
color coding or labels on the 1/8" cables & the back of the SignaLink units

"Jason" at SignaLink Tech Support has always been very good in helping me, and
was the one I worked with to facilitate the modifcations in all of my units.
You might need his help in working through your specific issues there.

I hope this helps.

FYI & 73...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust
* http://www.k6vva.com
* Celebrating 50 Years as a Licensed Amateur Radio Operator
* NCCC Co-Founding Member
* A-1 Operator Club
* FOC #1845 (ex #845)
* LQP (Locust QSO Party) Sponsor http://www.k6vva.com/lqp (Final Results posted
2/9/07)
* A perpetual Pest to Hardward Manufacturers and Software Authors to fix bugs
and/or provide enhanced capabilities for greater Contesting efficiency :-)