Re: [WriteLog] Icom 706 voice keyer

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Icom 706 voice keyer
From: Mark Klocksin <mpklocksin@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 19:02:58 -0500
Dave, I tried recording messages using WriteLog's DVK.  To do this, I
believe you need to have a sound card that can simultaneously record
and play back.  At any rate, my computer had a compatible sound
card.  I tried and tried to implement this, but I was doing something
wrong.  I read this excellent turorial:  http://www.k9jy.com/
Universal_Setup/universal_setup.htm#CW/RTTY/SSB%20Messages  But still
it didn't work.  Finally, as I recall, the trick was to click on
"DVK" in the Setup/Ports menu.   But I didn't like it.  The problem
was the audio playing back from the computer didn't sound the same as
my "live mic" audio.  I probably didn't have the levels quite right,
but certainly there was an extra step or two involved, and I found it
difficult to record messages on the fly.

I "solved" the problem by doing what Dick suggested.  I record 4
messages in my 756 Pro III and recall them with the I-mate.  Guys on
the air tell me there's no difference in the quality, tone, or level
between the live and recorded voice.  Also--I don't know how to
explain this--somehow it's easier for my brain to "separate"
functions during a contest and reach over to push a button on the I-
Mate and rather than hitting one of the "F" keys.

73, Mark WA9IVH