Re: [WriteLog] SARTG Scoring

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SARTG Scoring
From: "Ed Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:09:46 -0700
> US stations outside my call area are being scored 10 points,
> but the SARTG rules say 5 points for same country.  Is there
> a fix for this?  It would be nice to know what the score is,
> although it doesn't matter for log submittal purposes since
> all that is required is a Cabrillo log.

Thanks to all who replied.  The unanimous interpretation is that the scoring
is correct because call areas in the US, Canada, VK and JA are considered
"countries".  You all have more experience than me in this contest and
apparently the SARTG scores it this way.

However, the rules seem pretty clear to me, as written.  The first US
station you work on a band gives you two mults: the US DXCC entity mult and
a call area mult.  The scoring paragraph in the rules states that contacts
with same country count 5 points.  I don't find anything explicit or
implicit in the rules that interpret 'call area' as 'country'.  But, again,
if the log-checked scores use this interpretation, then WriteLog is correct.
In any case, this interpretation builds a larger score than my
interpretation, so that's fun!

73,
Ed - W0YK

P.S.  Yes, I know, I should be signing 'W0YK/6', again clearly stated in the
rules.  I realized this part way into the first 8-hour session and decided
not to change and mess up other people's logs.  My log can just be a
checklog.  In general, I advise against changing the exchange, call sign or
anything sent to other stations during a contest.  The other stations should
never be dinged for your sending error and they should always log what is
sent.  It is your obligation to have your own log reflect exactly what you
sent in each QSO, even if it violates the rules.  If there is a rule
violation, then your log can become a checklog.