[WriteLog] MSI problems overcome for early Windows Versions

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MSI problems overcome for early Windows Versions
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:50:23 -0400
See my previous post from a day or two ago.  When trying to load an upgrade
on a Windows ME machine I got an .msi error implying I needed to install a
FULL version.  When I tried installing the last FULL I had, which was
10.61FULL, it would not install giving other .msi errors.

The workaround:

1.  Run setup.exe on the most recent FULL version you have, but uncheck the
box that will make the system want to run the files when its done unzipping.
In whatever directory you have sent the unzipped files to, you will now have
a file that has a name like: writelog setup_msi.  Rename this file
writelog.msi
2.  Reboot your computer.
3.  Run setup.exe - it should load a FULL version.
4.  Now, move on to trying to load your latest version - at the moment
10.63.  At this point I get more .msi errors, even though I have an
installed FULL version.  Repeat the above.  Find the file writelog setup_msi
for the new version and rename it writelog.msi
5.  Reboot.  Isn't this fun?
6.  Run setup.exe for the new version and it will install.

I believe I will need to follow this routine as long as I have ME (or 98 or
95) on this machine.

I have the latest Microsoft installer installed on the computer BTW, which
is ver 2.0 for windows ME.  They are up to 3.1 for newer OSs.

Hal
N4GG